What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. If you snore loudly and feel tired even after a full night's sleep, you might have sleep apnea.
The main types of sleep apnea are:
- Obstructive sleep apnea, the more common form that occurs when throat muscles relax
- Central sleep apnea, which occurs when your brain doesn't send proper signals to the muscles that control breathing
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome, also known as treatment-emergent central sleep apnea, which occurs when someone has both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea
How does Sleep / Sleep Analyzer detect apnea?
Sleep / Sleep Analyzer is a highly innovative device as it does not rely on the signals traditionally used to detect sleep apnea, such as nasal airflow or oximetry. Thanks to its pressure and sound sensors, Sleep / Sleep Analyzer is able to detect breathing cessations, snoring, heart and breathing activities, as well as body movements. All of these physiological parameters feed our clinically-validated algorithm, which is in turn able to detect sleep apnea with medical-grade precision.
How can I get a reliable measurement?
Please follow the guidelines below in order to have a reliable sleep apnea measurement:
- Position the sensor sideways under your mattress. It needs to have full contact with both the mattress and the box spring/bed platform.
- Place a flat, sturdy object (like cardboard, for instance) between the frame and the sensor if you have a slatted frame.
- Place the sensor at chest/heart level.
- Make sure that the sensor covers at best your sleep zone when tossing and turning.
- Make sure that the sensor is plugged into a power socket, using the provided adapter. If it is not the case, connect your Sleep Analyzer and wait for 10 minutes before going in bed. Do not put heavy objects on the bed when the sensor is not in use.
- Try to sleep for at least 5 hours to see your results in the morning.
- Note for EU Sleep users: Sleep needs to be plugged into a power socket, using the provided adapter. You also need to have the latest version of the Health Mate app to activate the sleep apnea feature. Make sure that you activate the sleep apnea feature by going to Devices > Sleep > Activate sleep apnea.