- Sleep apnea detection requires FDA approval in the US. Withings is currently applying for it and is pending FDA approval.
- Sleep Analyzer has been clinically validated by the CE notified body and is considered as a medical device.
Sleep apnea is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. If you snore loudly and feel tired even after a full night's sleep, you might have sleep apnea.
The main types of sleep apnea are:
- Obstructive sleep apnea, the more common form that occurs when throat muscles relax
- Central sleep apnea, which occurs when your brain doesn't send proper signals to the muscles that control breathing
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome, also known as treatment-emergent central sleep apnea, which occurs when someone has both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
You can retrieve sleep apnea data collected by your Sleep / Sleep Analyzer in the Timeline of the Health Mate app. Tap on your sleep item, sleep apnea data will be displayed under your Sleep score. Tap on See more for more details.
Follow the guidelines below in order to have a reliable sleep apnea measurement:
- Position the sensor sideways under your mattress. It needs to have full contact with both the mattress and the box spring/bed platform.
- Place a flat, sturdy object (like cardboard, for instance) between the frame and the sensor if you have a slatted frame.
- Place the sensor at chest/heart level.
- Make sure that the sensor covers at best your sleep zone when tossing and turning.
- Make sure that the sensor is plugged into a power socket, using the provided adapter. If it is not the case, connect your Sleep / Sleep Analyzer and wait for 10 minutes before going in bed. Do not put heavy objects on the bed when the sensor is not in use.
- Try to sleep for at least 5 hours to see your results in the morning.
- Note for EU Sleep users: Sleep needs to be plugged into a power socket, using the provided adapter. You also need to have the latest version of the Health Mate app to activate the sleep apnea feature. Make sure that you activate the sleep apnea feature by going to Devices > Sleep > Activate sleep apnea.