How does connected GPS work?
Connected GPS means that when running with your smartphone, you will be able to track the route you have covered on a map in the Health Mate app. Also, additional workout metrics such as duration, distance, heart rate, and pace are displayed in real time during the workout on your watch screen and on your phone.
To use connected GPS, you need to launch a distance-based outdoor activity workout session. To do so, perform the following steps:
- Press the button of your Steel HR / Steel HR Sport for about a second until it vibrates.
- Press the button to select your activity, and then give the button a long press to start your workout.
- Press the button until it vibrates again when you want to stop your workout session.
The Steel HR Sport offers Connected GPS for all distance-based outdoor activities such as walking, running, biking, and canoeing.
- Steel HR / Steel HR Sport needs to be connected via Bluetooth. Connected GPS requires you to enable your location settings of your smartphone.
- GPS tracking will only be possible if the "energy saving" mode is deactivated on your smartphone.
Do I need to enable GPS to measure distance with my Steel HR / Steel HR Sport?
GPS data make distance, speed and average speed measurements more precise but is not necessary.
Why do I need to have my location services always on?
We ask you to enable your location settings to offer you detailed activity data such as route and pace for automatically tracked workouts such as running - even when the Health Mate is not launched.
The Steel HR / Steel HR Sport and Health Mate app only access your location data when a distance-based outdoor workout is tracked. Connected GPS does not impact your smartphone’s battery life.
Note: The "Allow Location" notification message will be permanently visible in the Health Mate app if you don't authorize Health Mate to access your location.
Does connected GPS compromise the battery life of the Steel HR Sport?
Not at all! We still offer 25 days of battery life plus 20 more days in power reserve mode (time & activity tracking only).
For which activities is connected GPS available?
Steel HR / Steel HR Sport offers Connected GPS for all distance-based outdoor activities such as walking, running, biking, and canoeing.