Note: With Firmware Release 841, we have introduced an optional Heart Sound Measurement Assistance Mode which can provide real-time feedback for correct positioning. Read about it here.
BPM Core allows you to take two types of measurements:
- Blood pressure
- ECG and stethoscope signal recording
Make sure you follow the guidelines below when taking a measurement. Failing to do so may lead to inaccurate results or cause the measurements to fail.
- Take the measurement in a calm and quiet area.
- Do not speak or move during the measurement.
- If possible take the measurement with the arm uncovered.
Taking a measurement
To take a measurement, perform the following steps:
- Sit down in a comfortable position, legs uncrossed, feet flat or on the floor, arm and back supported. Rest 5 minutes before the measurement.
- Tighten the cuff around your arm. The stethoscope should be facing the rib cage, with the metal tube facing down about one inch above the elbow.
For blood pressure measurement:
Place your left arm on a table with the cuff level with your heart and your palm facing up. Make sure the cuff is not touching the left side of your chest. Your arm should be resting comfortably on the table without making any effort.
For ECG and stethoscope signal recording:
The excess cuff should not overlap the stethoscope. Make sure that the stethoscope is in contact with your chest and the two electrodes inside the cuff are in contact with your skin during the measurement. Place your right hand on the metal tube. You do not need to put your left hand on the table.
- Push the button on top of the BPM Core. The screen will display START. Push the button once again to start the measurement.
Note: You can also select Start x3 or ECG by swiping the light trail on the screen. Start x3 launches three blood pressure measurements in a row followed by an ECG and stethoscope measurement. ECG will only record the ECG and stethoscope signals. Make sure to use the correct arm position for each measurement type.
- When the blood pressure measurement is finished, the screen displays the heart rate pictogram (see below) meaning that you will now proceed to the ECG and stethoscope signal recording. Adjust your arm position accordingly.
- At the end of the measurement, select the user by swiping the light trail on the right part of the screen.
- Press the button of BPM Core to validate.
Results are displayed on the screen of BPM Core and sent via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth in the Withings App. You will initially need 5 successful measurements before receiving the results of your stethoscope recordings.
Note: If you did not place your hand on the metal tube (electrode), BPM Core did not record ECG and stethoscope signal. BPM Core will only display blood pressure readings.